approach to increasing fluency in the classroom..
Effective, engaging fluency practice without taking time away from classroom instruction.
Fluency practice that is more engaging, more independent, and more effective.
Created in a classroom to help kids independently improve fluency and comprehension during reading rotations. It is research-based, effective, and students enjoy the lessons!
Founder & CEO of Lyrics2Learn
Proven, science-based reading fluency supplement and intervention for K-5th
- Music activates more of the brain, makes every text fun and interactive, accelerates reading improvement, and helps foster a life-long love for reading.
- Fusing music, rhythm and rhyme, with the proven fluency strategies of repeated, choral and assisted reading increase student engagement and motivation to read
- Fluency and background knowledge are key components of comprehension. By incorporating music with repeated reading, students not only increase fluency, they retain more information and rapidly build background knowledge.
- To create life-long readers, we need to help kids feel and connect to what they read. Music provokes emotion and feeling. Fusing music to text connects emotion to words in a story.
- Every 15-minute lesson begins with fluency practice aligned to each student's individualized learning track. Students read chorally and repeatedly, emulating expression, accuracy and pace.
- Music, rhythm and rhyme make the research-based fluency strategies of repeated, choral and assisted reading highly memorable, engaging and effective
- As students master on text per week, L2L records weekly cold vs hot read improvement, benchmarks monthly fluency improvement, tracks and reports time spent reading, Word Per Minute (WPM) practice level, and lexile averages for every user.
- L2L is the only program to incorporate music to help students retain information prior to leveled comprehension practice. Kids cannot learn to apply information at high levels if they do not first retain the information form the text.
- Each weekly story consists of 4 scaffolded comprehension lessons. As students develop background knowledge, question levels increase in complexity, progressing from literal, to inferential, to complex, and ending with critical thinking skills.
- Standards-aligned scope and sequence allows teachers to target stories by concept, standard, lexile, WPM, or reading level. We take each student through an entire school year of individualized weekly lessons.
- Online tutorials allow teachers to effectively use Lyrics2Learn in every teaching format: centers, small group, whole group, and remote.
- Real-time, personal support is available via the chat feature located on the teacher and administrator dashboards.
- Daily embedded assessments provide immediate evidence of student progress and skill mastery in both fluency and comprehension.
- Cutom features allow teachers to automate the communication of results and progress to administrators, parents, and interventionists with one click.
- In person training is available upon request.
- Administrator, Teacher and student accounts can be accessed anywhere and on any device.
- Priced affordably at $10 per student with training discounts available for Title 1, site or district purchases. GET AUTOMATED QUOTE LINK HERE
- Free app downloads for teachers, students and parents are included with every subscription.
Integrated Fluency Strategies
National Reading Panel
The NRP reviewed 364 research studies concluding that repeated, choral and modeled reading resulted in clear and substantial improvements in reading fluency and comprehension.
UK Fluency Project
A fluency study utilizing repeated reading, choral reading, modeled reading, and other strategies integrated on Lyrics2Learn showed 17-19 months of accuracy and pace/WPM gain during a 12 week intervention
KS2 Reading Fluency Project
Using modeled reading, repeated reading and explicit teaching of phrasing/intonation, a 1,000 student organization sees average gains of 2 years and 3 months over an 8 week intervention.
Integrated Comprehension Strategies
National Reading Panel (NRP)
The NRP reviewed 364 studies. They found that repeated, choral and modeled reading resulted in clear and substantial improvements in reading fluency and comprehension.
Fluency and Comprehension Gains as a Result of Repeated Reading
A Meta-analysis of repeated reading studies showing increases in reading fluency and comprehension for every type of elementary learner.
The Marsico Institute for Early Learning and Literacy
The University of Denver found that 1st-5th grade students using Lyrics2Learn for 45 minutes per week saw year over year gains increase by 66% when compared to the control group.
Tired of staged videos? Unscripted Interviews with School District Leaders Using L2L
An Effective Online Supplement & Intervention
An effective, engaging fluency and comprehension supplement for K-5th grade students.
- Self-paced or teacher-managed learning
- Lessons personalized to each student's needs
- Data and progress reporting for teachers and administrators
- Live webinars and real-time support
Request a Live Demo or School Pilot
Over 3,000,000 lessons served in classrooms and homes around the world.
My fourth graders and I love Lyrics2Learn! They love the beat and the rhythm, and I love that they're excited about working on their fluency... It's a welcome change from the monotony of repeated reading. Many of the other fluency programs we've tried lack this quality comprehension component.
Last week, I entered my team member's classroom to find every student in the class actively engaged in reading! I was stunned but really excited about the most powerful educational tool I've seen in a long time.
100% of my kids made benchmark, and over 60% of them doubled it when I used Lyrics2learn as a reading center every week.